How to check if your site and url are blocked on reddit. Useful if you are wondering “why is my website banned from reddit”!
Use this method to check if your website has been blocked on the reddit.com social news media website. I don’t use digg.com so not sure how to check that one. Part 2 is here: How to check if your username is banned on Reddit.com.
If when you submit your link and hit refresh (F5),
- The vote count goes to 0, this is a sign that its been reported to the moderators and is now in the moderation system for checking.
The most absolute spam url/user check for reddit is:
- Using another connection, with no reddit cookies and not logged in, check the ‘new’ tab of the subreddit or reddit you submitted the website url link to a few minutes after submitting it. Its sorted by time/date, so find approximately when you submitted the link. If your url does not appear anywhere in the list, your website is banned by the reddit spam filtering system.
What can you do to unban your website from reddit?
- At this moment, unless you personally know high level moderators or admins of the site, nothing can be done to unban a url from reddit.com.
- It is possible, although secretive at this point in time, that Reddit banning system stores the date the url was banned and thus, after a certain amount of time has passed, your url may get automatically unbanned. This is unconfirmed at this time and should be taken as rumor.
I made a fresh site, its awesome and full of really useful content that Reddit will like. What’s the one tip you can give me to not get it banned?
- ALWAYS POST IN THE CORRECT SUBREDDIT.
- If the sites about gaming, post in r/gaming, if its about fitness, try r/fitness and if its funny memes and absolutely useless yet hilariously time-wasting images then by all means post away to reddit.com main.
Does this leave a url open to damage by nefarious submitters?
- In some ways, yes. As a similar situation has always existed on forums and usenet banning/spam networks, where we found users spam submitting domains they did not like just to get them banned by the automated systems. In the end, it is something we must accept as Reddit is a privately owned company (owned by Conde Nast – US), and therefore has the absolute right to allow or disallow submissions at its leisure. Just try to be nice!
The random arguments made against moderation…
- Reddits main argument against potential lawsuits arising from none legally allowed activities and submissions on its website is its use of automated systems to filter content (The Google argument). Once humans enter the loop, it may become a different matter, legally speaking. Although I should state at this point I am not a lawyer.
Note for readers from Reddit: I was not spamming reddit! I have another website I made (its a simple game website (flij.com) that I made for fun, containing no ads at all that I profit from. Its like imgur, but for fl games). I thought Reddit main would enjoy it since r/gaming enjoyed it so much. It got about 10 hits before my website was banned by reddit. I still enjoy using reddit to this day and hold no bitterness towards this incident. ok, maybe a little…hehe
UPDATE – Part 2 now live – is my username banned on reddit? – Nerdr.com